Nicci

Nicci - TWLIB Reviews

I might have a current fascination for M/M Romance, but I do read across genres, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, History, Contemporary, Murder Mysteries, Thrillers, and those other romance novels.

Double Full
Kindle Alexander
Progress: 25 %
The Children of Gavrilek (Volume 1)
Julie Kirton Chandler
Progress: 7 %

Dirty Kiss

Dirty Kiss - Rhys Ford The first time we meet Cole Kenjiro McGinnis had me laughing out loud. The beginning chapter in Dirty Kiss by Rhys Ford is hilarious. Cole is running through the backyard of the place he’s just finished spying on. A gun-toting, leather-clad, elderly woman is blasting her shotgun at him. While Cole runs for his life, he can’t help thinking how his version of what is supposed to be a grandmother can differ in actuality. What he observed in the window is Mrs. Brinkerhoff, who’s in her late seventies, getting it on with her elderly, female lover. I agree with Cole. There is not enough bleach in the world that could erase the image of two elderly females having sex.This is a sample of trauma Cole goes through as he works as a private investigator. He spends his time snooping in behalf of his clients. There are times in the story I wonder how in the world Cole survived as a former cop. The things he will do remind me of a bungler. Although Cole appears light hearted and easygoing, he carry major baggage he tries to keep hidden. Under the surface, Cole is still grieving over the lost of his lover, Rick. Continues to have nightmares and a boatload of guilt. Dirty Kiss is not about Rick and Cole. The result of Rick’s death give rise to who Cole is today. Not until he meets Jae-Min, will Cole have any meaningful relationships. What I love about the story is the affect of Korean culture on the individual and on the family. Cole is half Japanese and Irish. He knows little of his Japanese mother’s heritage, and what he does know is that he has family in Japan. Jae-Min is Cole’s love interest and he’s Korean. Koreans do not recognize Gay sexuality. While during a bit of research, I came across this saying by Koreans, “There are no gays in Korea.” The cultural forces Jae-Min to hide away his true self. If his family ever discover Jae-Min is gay he would be thrown out and lose the most important aspect of the cultural, the family structure. And sadly, he tells Cole, he can’t ever let that happen. To have his family disown him is akin to death. It’s sad how certain traditions bear such sweeping fatalism to life. The Korean tradition as depicted in this book reminds me of the Borg on Star Trek. The collective mind prevails. The Korean bond is so strong in this story it becomes the driving force Cole must work through to discover the truth of Jae-Min’s cousin death. He is a dog gnawing on a bone. His instincts as a cop rise to undercover layer by layer of why Hyun-Shik committed suicide. The race to keep Jae-min and Cole alive will keep you on the edge of your seat. The story end is pretty shocking.Yes, this is an M/M Romance. The romance is not as front and center as the investigation, but settles as the secondary storyline. I feel the author pick an excellent approach in presenting the romance. Cole and Jae-min can’t afford to be seen affectionate in public. They must remain behind closed doors pretty much as all Korean Gays must do. Due to his loyalty to his family, Jae-min will fight his feelings for Cole. In contrast, Cole just doesn’t get it. Americans pride themselves on individuality. Family is important but not as important as maintaining one self-identity. The love scenes, though, between these two are hot and heavy. I love Jae-min’s sweetness and Cole’s determination and obvious alpha sexiness. Love the tension that ratchet up as they begin to know each other, as they work through the cultural differences while they try to save their lives.Originally posted at:http://twlibreviews.com/2011/07/review-dirty-kiss-by-rhys-ford/